Friday, October 06, 2006

Suddenly I'm taking life two steps at a time

Wow-- already two weeks have gone by since I last posted! That's crazy. Suddenly it seems as though God is moving faster than I am. Saying "one step at a time" helps give me some perspective when I'm overwhelmed, but lately it feels like my steps haev gone from slow walking to running, and like the title says-- I've started taking two at a time. It's been a full two weeks-- recently the CCDA conference was here in Philly (Christian Community Development Association), and it was pretty amazing. I had the privilege of meeting people like Shane Claiborne (author of Irresistible Revolution, and one of the founders of the Simple Way), Dr. Tony Campolo, and Marian Wright Edelman (founder of the Children's Defense Fund). I was blessed beyond belief to just meet people who dedicated their lives to service. I enjoyed the sessions I was able to facilitate and attend. All in all an amazing, inspiring time to be in a place where hundreds of people are committed to serving the poor in some of the hardest places in the United States (and abroad!).

This past week has been a bit of a reality check, juggling my new job with my school work... and trying to create some sort of a social life in between! I just had a fellow CCO worker and her boyfriend over for dinner, and it was a good time. I realized earlier today that I really miss just hanging out with people that I can be completely relaxed with and laugh with (there is something so freeing and fulfilling about those moments). We had some good laughs tonight, which I appreciated. Tomorrow I am taking my first service-learning trip with students, to Philabundance to sort food in one of the largest food banks in Philly. We'll see how it goes! Lots has taken place already in just one week with the students, I'm really anxious to get to know the students and start building relationships. It's tough being the new woman on campus, you know? Hm, I should take pictures!

Schoolwork has been busy as well. Tomorrow I have to go door to door to interview people in a neighborhood about a church in their community. I'm choosing to use Becky & Tim's church, which I have never been to. The research project is focused on the question, "does faith make a difference?" and is examining how the church affects the community-- by ASKING the community without asking the church. We'll see how it turns out :).

Well, that's the brief version! I need to get some sleep tomorrow is going to be a long day!

No comments: