One life decision down, two to go (and more to follow?)
The last few months have been full of decisions. Just about every conversation I have with someone these days has to do with what decision I am trying to make. Well, finally my decisions regarding my job & ministry are made: I am going to be the Service-Learning Coordinator for the Eastern in the City program at the Campolo School for Social Change. Woo hoo! This is really a dream job that I couldn't have dreamt up if I tried, so I know this is a result of the Lord's favor (defined as acts of God's grace that you didn't plan to happen, or do anything to make happen by Pastor Eric Mason this morning at church). There are still some final details that have to go through, but everyone is pretty confident and excited about this working out. Plus, I start tomorrow! I have 80 students I have to find service-learning opportunities for before the end of the semester, starting from (almost) scratch-- so I figure I better get started. Click here to learn more about Eastern in the City.
So, that's one decision made (in many ways, made for me!). Now, it's down to housing and church. I've been given a number of different options for where I could live, but it's a matter of choosing what neighborhood I am feeling called to be a part of, and what I can afford. Plus, I crave living in some type of "community", meaning that I would live with others who will share life with me on a semi-daily basis. Currently, I have a fabulous living situation with a co-worker and her husband, who have been very gracious and wonderful to allow me to stay with them! So there is no rush to figure this out right now... (besides for my own tendency to be settled and have things "figured out").
As far as church goes-- I've been going to a couple of different congregations. Circle of Hope, an emerging type church born out of the Brethren in Christ church, has been a place where I've made quite a few friends in the last nine months. Most of the members are between the ages of 18-35. They meet on Sunday evenings and have a very eclectic worship style, and informal gathering where they share the Word. They really focus on living in community and figuring out social justice, and how Jesus fits into it all. They've been meeting above a thrift store that they run (along with the Mennonite Central Committee), and people who live in the Simple Way are members there and are pretty connected. A GREAT bunch of people.
I've also attended Spirit & Truth, which is a Christian Reformed Church in North Philly. This particular neighborhood has a pretty large Hispanic population, and the church itself is made up of a very diverse group of people. The pastor is Hispanic, and the church body has African Americans, Hispanics, Asians, and whites... and probably some more ethnicity's too. I've connected with some great people there too, and have enjoyed their worship and preaching.
Thirdly, I've been attending a NEW church called Epiphany Fellowship, also located in North Philly but in a different part of town (predominantly African American). Last week Sunday was their first Sunday, making today the second! I've really really enjoyed their services and the people that I've met. The week before their first Sunday service they had a block part event that included Christian Hip-Hop artists, free food, water-ice, games for the kids, and more. I volunteered at the event as a way to get to know some people and check out what they were doing, which turned out to be a GREAT day. Anyways, I think I'm going to continue attending this church for a while and see where it leads to. I've really felt at home there, and like the fact that it's small, challenging, and just getting started. Here are some pictures from their first service that one of my professors took: click here.
I'm ready to commit myself to a church so that I can feel a bit more grounded, but I also know that I can't rush into things. All of the above churches are doing some pretty great things, and doing their best to love the city in the ways in which they were called to.
So-- those are some decisions that have been made, are being made... and I'm sure that after these aspects of my life in Philly get settled something new will come up. As I've been saying for the last two years, all I can do is take this ONE STEP AT A TIME.
1 comment:
Woo for decision-making! You decided what you were doing for your thesis project (if that's what it is), right? So I'd say that's TWO decisions down. Can't wait to visit - I'll keep you posted.
eb
Post a Comment