Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Theology of the City

This past week has been pretty crazy, I must admit. I've found myself in a variety of interesting situations, and meeting all sorts of amazing people (people who break into my car when I lock my keys in it, and people who are willing to jump my car when I leave my lights on... it's been that kind of week). I'm still attempting to secure my new position with the CCO (more details when something is official!). I'm in the process of finding a church to commit to, and deciding where I should live more long-term. I have started my graduate assistantship, which is focused on researching sexual health curriculum for urban youth. I'm convinced that I'm working with some pretty amazing people at the Campolo School for Social Change.

Anyways, I've had to write about five papers already (I think I have at least one, usually 2 paper(s) due a week until the end of Decemeber). But, I thought I'd share part of my paper that was a theology for ministry in the city... since it is basically the basis for why I am here, in Philadelphia, studying and serving to the best of my ability. This is my introduction, and then part of my conclusion (edited, this was a ten page paper.

I grew up in a conservative, Christian, white, middle class, small, rural town in West Michigan—as opposite of the urban environment as you can get. It doesn’t make sense for me to love the city; but I do. I love the city; nothing brings me greater joy than seeing Christ in the diversity, culture, community, and life that is found in urban environments. I love seeing people walking, sitting on their porch, going in and out of corner stores, and coffee shops. Music drifts from houses, from cars, and I-pods, everything from the latest hip-hop, gospel, or folk music. Life is unpredictable, and yet has a routine to it at the same time. While I find joy in the city, I cannot deny the heartbreak and oppression is found in the midst of this vibrant setting. In this same environment there is a deep hunger for justice, mercy, and the love that Christ offers. In 2004 nearly 80% of the poor in the United States were urbanized (Claerbaut, 2005, p.3). There are entire neighborhoods in inner-cities around the world that middle and upper classes, and even the church, would rather forget about; Mark Gornik refers to these as “excluded neighborhoods” in his book, To Live In Peace (2002). Christ proclaims in Luke 4, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." Jesus didn't just bring the Good News of our own personal salvation, he brought the Good News of the Kingdom of God. I believe that is why the Body of Christ needs to be ever-present in our cities today, working towards the building of the Kingdom.

** This is where all the main points of my paper are, that are not included, I basically went through the creation, fall, and redemption of the city and some of it's aspects***

If “the divine aim of redemption is status reversal” as said by Joel Greene, then that has major implications for how and where we do ministry (Hepburn). John Perkin’s three R’s for doing Christian Community Development, relocation (living among the poor), redistribution (of wealth), and reconciliation (between race and class), all take serious sacrifice in order to be effective (Perkins, 1995, p.21-22). Christ died for our sins, allowing us to be reconciled to God, and because of this we are able to enter a relationship with God. But, what does it mean to really know God? Jeremiah 22:16 says “He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?’ declares the LORD.” God is a God of the poor, and if we want to know God, we must know the poor. Throughout the Bible we are called to serve, sacrifice, and humble ourselves in order to bring about the work of redemption- in our own life and in the world around us.

While sin may appear to be controlling our world, not only do we know that Christ is making all things new, but he has declared, “Take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). I’ve seen pieces of the Kingdom all over the world; youth coming to Christ in inner-city neighborhoods, families becoming homeowners through Habitat for Humanity, and reconciliation occurring between races in multi-ethnic ministries. Through persistent, simple faithfulness to the call of God and where he is working we can change the world and our cities through individual and social transformation. Frederick Buechner is often quoted as saying, “The place where God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” Christ calls us to servanthood, not greatness (Yoder, 1994). In Matthew 20:25-28 Jesus says, “You know that the rules of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever want to become great among you must be your servants, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave- just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” This passage comes at a time when the mother of James and John came to Jesus asking that her sons may sit at his side in His Kingdom. Jesus’ response shows us the importance of servant-leadership; it’s not about authority or position within the kingdom; it’s about serving those around you. The Gospel message is about Christ dying for our sins, but it’s also about serving the Kingdom.

How we serve the city has the potential to make a large impact on the world. I often feel personally inadequate to even step foot in the city, but Christ calls his followers out of their places of comfort, and into places where they need to depend upon Him. Paul says in 2 Corinthians 12:9, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." When we rely on the power of Christ instead of ourself we are able to fully realize what he is able to do. It’s key to understand that God created the city, that the city is affected by the Fall—just like all of God’s creation, and that Christ’s death and victory through the resurrection gives us redeeming power through the gift of the Holy Spirit. We are next in the story, working towards the building of the Kingdom as we await the New Jerusalem. We have hope and encouragement in Christ. As we serve him, and work towards the Kingdom in our cities and communities, life become not about us, but about Christ, and our neighbors. As long as we love God, love the people around us, and follow Jesus into the hard places, the Kingdom will continue to become stronger.


sources:
Claerbaut, David. (2005). Urban Ministry in a New Millenium. Waynesboro, GA:
Authentic Media in partnership with World Vision.

Gornik, Mark R. (2002) To Live in Peace: Biblical Faith and the Changing Inner-City. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company.

Hepburn, Robert. (2006, Sept. 1). Christ & Culture. Presented at a URBN 510 lecture at The Campolo School for Social Change.

Perkins, John M. (1995). Restoring at Risk Communities: Doing it Together & Doing it Right. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books.

Yoder, John Howard. (1994). The Politics of Jesus. Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey alaina! I read your blog. Wow, you are something else! My little aliners all grown up.

Talk to ya soon,
Aunt Sheri

Do you have a my space?

CWW said...

lainers, nice work. i am excited to talk to you later this week. its rainy and reminds me of GR for some reason. makes me want to sit and drink a cold beverage on the sunporch with you mir and kates. and listen to the rain.