"This is what it's about!"
Another week is completed, and more exciting adventures are on the horizon.
This week has been quite full, with papers, class, and scheduling students into their service-learning sites. Last night was a great end to the week, eleven students (plus the three children of one of the students) and I went to a ministry that is a block away from Eastern in the City to serve a meal. The ministry is called Chosen 300, and they serve meals to the homeless on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. On Saturdays they actually go out into the streets and pass food out, rather than having the homeless come to them. They had a worship service, and message before dinner, and the music continued throughout the evening. There was something amazing about worshipping and serving together in a place where we were able to feed 175 people. Racial & economic lines are crossed when you worship in such a place. The students were SO excited, and wanted to come back to serve as soon as possible. For some of them, this was the first time they had ever served in this way. One student asked me a couple of days ago, "I've never really been around homeless people, how do I act?" We talked about how homeless people are simply PEOPLE, and you act in such a way that gives them dignity and respect. Another student told me last night, "I thought when I came here I was going to just work, I didn't expect to enjoy myself. But, man, I really enjoyed myself tonight." This is what makes my job the best job ever. Not only are we serving in the community, but students are understanding that our faith calls us to serve in a very deep and real way. One student declared, "this is what it's about!" I wholeheartedly agreed (and was thinking, wow, you are all making my job really easy!), and we had a conversation about how faith wasn't for yourself to hold on to, but to share with others by meeting physical, social, and spiritual needs. Don't get me started...
Lots of really great possibilities of working the students on projects have come up recently. Yesterday I had the privilege to come up with some ideas for involving students in the Martin Luther King Day of Service of Greater Philadelphia, as a part of the committee planning the day. Another exciting adventure that is in process is helping work with a group of students on planning a trip to Africa (possibly Kenya) in the year 2008. Yes yes yes! All fantastic.
On a more personal, not work related note, I received papers for my lease to my new apartment yesterday! That's right, I'm moving in on November 5. A professor of mine, and the Dean of the Campolo School bought an old mansion in Germantown (a section of Philadelphia) and are in the process of renovating it. Out of the building they run an organization called Buildabridge International Their mission is: (BI) is a non-profit arts education organization dedicated to bringing hope and healing to vulnerable children, families, and communities in the tough places of the world through direct arts-integrated intervention (social, spiritual, educational, and therapeutic) and cross-cultural service. BI motivates, enlists, trains and connects those who have the desire to serve others through their artistic gifts with those in greatest need I have heard great things about the work they do, and I am excited to learn more about it and be a part of it! My apartment will be in the same building from which the organization is run. I will be serving as the Buildabridge Host, which means I will host visitors and guests who come to stay. I am SO excited. :)
Today I am sitting at home, reading a book for class, Dark Age Ahead by Jane Jacobs, and eventually writing a review. Across the street from our house kids are playing football (always makes me miss my family!), and the sun is shining VERY brightly. This morning our neighbors are all having garage sales-- Becky & I ventured out earlier in our PJ's and slippers. I'm hopeful it will be a good day, I just pray I get all my coursework done! Beautiful days are always full of distractions.
2 comments:
I am really relieved to learn that THAT is in fact "what it's all about", and not the Hokey Pokey, which I have mistakenly believed most of my life.
eb
Lain,
I am going to call you this week...:) AND can you invite me to GMAIL? Yahoo is ALWAYS having issues here....
Post a Comment